- (v #1) “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.” Notice, they walk according to the Spirit – the Holy Spirit, because there are many spirits that are gone out into the world.
- (v#2) “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.” Amen!
- (v.#4) “[They] do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.” The spiritual man is bound up with the Holy Spirit – he understands his need of the Spirit of God.
- (v#5) “...those who live according to the Spirit, [mind] the things of the Spirit”. Their minds are not on foolishness, but rather on the things of God. Let’s skip to verse 10.
- (v#10) “If Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.” The body is dead from the sinful things in this life. The things you used to do or to desire, no longer rule your actions or your conscience. The Spirit is now your ruler.
- (v#11) “…He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.” Paul is talking about the resurrection of the “mortal” body, when Jesus returns to take home his saints. That, my friend, is the blessed hope!
- (v#13) “If by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live”. The promise renewed.
- (v#14) “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.” That puts a nail in the plank, doesn’t it? All doubt is taken away. If the Holy Spirit is leading you, then you are sons and daughters of God – plain and simple!
- (v#15) “…you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” As a spiritual person, you become a son or daughter of God, by adoption. Thank God for His adoptive rights.
- (v#16-17) “The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ…” The promise of salvation is repeated and heirship with Jesus is added! What a glorious note for us to end on regarding the “spiritual man”. To become a “Spiritual Man/Woman” should be the goal, for each of us. Next week, we shall take on the”Carnal Man.”
Monday, July 16, 2018
The Nature of Man - 2
Last week we spoke about the “Natural Man”; this week we shall begin to speak about the “Spiritual Man”. The spiritual man is defined as one who has a full, real relationship with God.
Romans 8:1-17 describes the spiritual man. There are certain verses that stand out more than others; they are: